16586 Woodbine Avenue
NEWMARKET, Ontario L3Y4W1
On July 4, 1873, citizens concerned for both the welfare of animals and children founded the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Ontario SPCA). Several years later, the Children's Aid Society was established as a separate organization and the Ontario SPCA's primary focus became bringing animal cruelty cases to the attention of authorities.
In 1887, the Ontario SPCA's lobbying efforts resulted in a decision by the Ontario Board of Police Commissioners to appoint a police officer to deal with animal cruelty issues on a full-time basis. In 1919, the first legislation was passed to protect animals. The Ontario SPCA's Inspectors and Agents were given authority by the government, through the Ontario SPCA Act, to investigate situations involving animal abuse.
In 1955, the Government of Ontario repealed the Act of 1919 and replaced it with new legislation. Inspectors and Agents were granted the power to enter property, to carry out investigations and given broader powers to remove animals that were believed to be in distress or in need of care and attention. In order to obtain enforcement powers, many independent societies affiliated with the Ontario SPCA, enabling the Society to become a larger, more linked group that could affect better humane laws and conditions.
Between 1960 and 1970, the Ontario SPCA expanded its operations across the Province of Ontario. New societies were introduced as "Branches" and pre-1955 organizations maintained their independent "Affiliate" status.
To see the adoptable pets for Ontario SPCA click here
Ontario SPCA directions and map
Below is a map for Ontario SPCA, please call for specific directions.
Note: PO Boxes will not show correctly on the map below.